Friday, March 26, 2010

MSY: Mulayam Seeti Yadav



I had just settled down to get my daily staple of Newshour on Times Now that Mulayam S. Yadav’s remark shook me in my sofa! He was referring to the recently cleared Women’s Reservation Bill in the Rajya Sabha. His words – in Hindi – were something like this:

“… Dekh lena, ab udyog-patiyon aur afsaron ki ladkiyan parliament mein ayengi, jinhen dekh kar ladke seeti bajaenge! …”

When translated into English:
“… Mark my words. Henceforth, you will see daughters of industrialists and bureaucrats come in the parliament, and watching whom men will whistle…” … So what if he is perennially surrounded by – and surviving because of - industrialists and bureaucrats, their daughters and daughter-in-laws included (Tina Ambani, Jaya Bachchan, et al.).

Can you believe it?!

I couldn’t for a moment. But then I did. Because, I understood. Thereafter, I did not feel any outrage or astonishment towards Mulayam S. Yadav’s otherwise outrageous outburst.

Just take a look at MSY’s background and you too will share my sentiments about the whole issue. MSY is an OBC. (OBC: “Other Backward Classes” got twisted by politicians like MSY to suit their aspirations to “Other Backward Castes”!).

Just recall that amongst the “factors” attributed for certain “castes” to be classified as an OBC – Yadavs included – their historic “backwardness” in all spheres of life was the primary one. Thus, one can simply understand how he would have been raised amongst poverty where meeting ones ends could have been of prime concern; education and cultured upbringing being purely incidental. Poor, MSY :(

Therefore, my fellow Indians, why should we feel offended by his crazy comment about women or women’s reservation bill, or on any subject of importance for that matter?

MSY echoed only what he is been reared to practice, and, preach! Imagine, MSY on his “trademark” bi-cycle, in his dhoti-kurta, roaming on streets, ogling at women and enjoying himself by whistling and making catcalls! …

Nevertheless, I have some tips for the women in the Parliament; I mean the women MPs (Sonia Gandhi, Meira Kumar, Brinda Karat, Sushma Swaraj, …). Next time the parliamentary session convenes, they all should show some “Gandhigiri”: they must present a “seeti” (whistle) to all male colleagues, MSY included, and welcome MSY with "seetis" (whistles) and make his feel “at home”! I am sure, their noble gesture will not be forgotten by MSY in this lifetime, and beyond too perhaps!

I bet, the first thing MSY will do post his encounter with the women-kind would be to rush – on his bi-cycle with a seeti between his lips - to file for two affidavits: one, to change his middle name from Singh to Seeti; two, to apply for change in his party’s symbol from bi-cycle to, again, Seeti !

So, everybody sing along:
“Hothon ko karke gol, seeti bajake bol! Mulayam Seeti Yadav, naam hai mera! Seeti bajana aurton pe, kaam hai mera! Mulayam Seeti Yadav …”

When translated into English:
“Make your lips round and whistle. Mulayam Whistle Yadav is my name; whistling at women is my work; Mulayam Whistle Yadav …”

God save India.

No comments:

Post a Comment