Sunday, June 13, 2010

Waka-Waka: World Cup is here, again!


Mexico’86! Still rings magic in my ears even after so many years!

I was a newly initiated in the world of sports. The love for almost all forms of games – barring the ‘contact’ types – had started on the day in ’83 when India won its maiden – and the only one so far – World Cup in cricket! The euphoria was infectious and I got contaminated for life! My newfound love for sports grew stronger in ’85 when the world discovered Boris Becker! The Indian cricket team was also at its zenith! Then came the summer of ’86.

Yes, the summer of ’86! The world was going crazy! The greatest show on the earth was to start in Mexico! Ditto was my state! With little bit of cajoling I got permission from parents for late night matches. And what an experience it was! Staying awake till late in nights and sleeping till late in mornings! The month long gala event completely altered my daily schedule! It didn’t matter at all if India was not participating – it still doesn’t matter – or that I didn’t understand the nuances of the sport! My sheer pleasure was in watching the beautiful game! To my luck – perhaps! – the World Cup got Maradona! And Maradona was a magician! Pure was his magic! My condition was such that I was watching football, eating football, sleeping football all the time! Maradona, Valdano, Baresi, Rossi, Bats, Platini, Edinho, Zico, Socrates, Alemao, Voller, Mathaus, Lineker, Shilton, …………………… as spoken by commentators, these names used to constantly ring in my ears – match on or not on! As if I was living under a spell – of soccer!

It was during Mexico’86 that I got another diary: a diary to keep records of the Football World Cup. It was in addition to my earlier two diaries: one to note down Rajiv Gandhi’s day-to-day itinerary and the second one to write down the important happenings around the world. The Formula 1 diary got added many years later. And I am pleased that though the Rajiv Gandhi and the current affairs diaries are no longer being maintained by me - my habit died with the death of Rajiv uncle - but I have continued with my World Cup and Formula 1 diaries! Perhaps it was this diary-hobby which subconsciously made me choose “Anju Chandel’s Diary” as my blogs’ Net address.

Italia’90, USA’94, France’98, Seoul’02, Germany’06 and now South Africa’10: the love is intact!

“Waka-Waka” - Shine-Shine! - as Shakira shook and sang aptly; “This is the African World Cup; the time for Africa has come,” as Jacob Zuma said; … the Rainbow Nation is poised for greater things in future! Bafana Bafanathe Boys the Boys – will surely bring cheers in homes and hearts of millions of South Africans and Africans in general!

The World Cup frenzy is in air, again! This time quite literally, too! Just switch on to ESPN and you would be deafened by the constant high decibel sound of thousands of Vuvuzelas! (Does it remind you of a certain Mayawati and her recent encounter with the Bees kind?!)

If you ask me about my favourite team in this tournament, I will say honestly: none. May the best team win! Nevertheless, I love to watch Argentina, Brazil, Cameroon, England, France, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal and Spain play! Likewise, I have my array of favourite players: Kaka, Ronaldo, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Messi, Drogba, Eto’o, Henry, Klose, Torres, … This time, however, it is a double-pleasure to have Maradona yet again – though in dugout, but kicking the ball nevertheless; his energy is still overflowing! I would have prayed for Argentina’s win but Maradona’s promised “nude run” … I am not sure if I want to see him in his natural state!

Waka-Waka: also sounds like “keep awake”! Well, I do so to watch 12am matches!

Happy World Cup watching :)

No comments:

Post a Comment