Tuesday, March 16, 2010

IPL and Thali


"If America is a melting pot, then to me India is a thali – a collection of sumptuous dishes in different bowls. Each may not mix with the next, but they combine on your palate to produce a satisfying repast.” – wrote Shashi Tharoor in his “Nehru: The Invention of India”.

I remember watching the first match of IPL-1 and getting reminded of Shashi Tharoor’s most appropriate and contemporary expression of the “Idea” of India! And since then, whenever IPL is on, these beautiful lines keep playing in my mind.

You wonder why?

Because, Shashi Tharoor’s “Thali” quote can comprehensively communicate the “Idea” of IPL as well: the ‘idea’ itself (‘thali!’); players of different nationalities together in a team (‘a collection of sumptuous ‘dishes’ in different bowls!’); inter-players relationships (‘each may not mix with the next!’); and the enjoyment it provides (‘they combine to produce a satisfying repast!’).

Therefore, I simply extrapolate(d) these wonderful words to put across my - borrowed - “idea” of IPL:

“If cricket match(es) between countries “is a melting pot”, then to me, IPL is a “thali” – a “collection” of talented players from different countries. Each may not “mix” (sometimes) with the “other”, but they “combine” on the field to produce a satisfying enjoyment!”

Do I make sense? May be my attempt could sound a bit childlike but my adaptation conveys the meaning, nevertheless. I think so :)

Disclaimer: I have re-produced the “Thali” quote here without seeking re-permission from its author. I pray I do not get prosecuted for this transgression.

………………………

P.S.: I hear Navjot Singh Sidhu is back on television – Timesnow – and is making waves again with his special coverage of IPL-3! Alas, I cannot enjoy his Sidhuisms as the broadcast timing doesn’t suit me :(

No comments:

Post a Comment